- External causes
- Venereal diseases
- Diseases of the genitourinary system
- Other causes of itch
- First actions at itching
Genital itching is a symptom that may indicate diseases requiring immediate treatment. Men may suffer from itching when urinating, after or during intercourse, periodically or permanently throughout the day. Men of any age can suffer from itching.
Very often, with itching, there is redness of the head and flesh of the penis with a burning sensation, rashes, bloom and unpleasant smell. However, the cause of this phenomenon is not always venereal disease or inflammation in the urogenital system. Other factors, seemingly harmless, can cause itching.
If before the occurrence of an itch there were no random sexual relationships, and other pronounced associated symptoms do not appear, the following reasons should be noted:
In the case of neglecting the hygiene of intimate places, smegma accumulates in the bag of the foreskin, where bacteria start to multiply causing itching. In this case, it is enough to resume hygienic procedures and itching will stop in a few days. The genital organ needs to be washed at least once a day, using special intimate means. Read more about smegma in the article Discharge
in men from the urethra – norm or pathology?
In the matter of hygiene do not need to overdo it. With frequent washing of the genital organ, it is possible to wash away the useful microflora, which is located on the head and protects it from the appearance of harmful microorganisms provoking the disease, the symptoms of which can itch.
In the case when it is not always possible to take a shower, it is advisable to always carry with you special sanitary napkins for intimate hygiene. You also need to wash or wipe your hands with napkins before and after using the toilet. It is advisable to carry out hygiene procedures after each emptying of the bladder.
Poor quality underwear
Briefs, tight-fitting clothing, which contains synthetic materials, do not allow air, which is a factor in increasing temperature and humidity above normal. As a consequence, the head of the penis is colonized by bacteria that irritate the skin and cause itching. The same effect is possible due to very tight linen.
Therefore, at occurrence of an itch, it is worth replacing pants with high content of synthetics with natural linen.
Itching can be an allergic reaction to laundry detergent, liquid products, gels and capsules used in the washing of underwear.
Allergy in the form of itching can cause the use of certain products (especially citrus) and medication.
Against the background of nervous and emotional disorders, mainly on the basis of sexual experiences, disturbances in the work of the nervous system are possible. With frequent stresses and stressful situations, the metabolism is disturbed, the blood supply deteriorates, the protective function of the body is weakened, which can cause itching of the penis head.
With an insufficient amount of lubricant in a woman during intercourse or during masturbation from friction on the foreskin, red spots may occur, which are accompanied by itching.
The presence of ticks and pubic lice is another factor in the discomfort in the form of an itchy sexual organ. Rarely enough, infection is possible when visiting public pools and baths, while using common things, such as towels, bed linen, and washcloth. You can become infected by sexual partner, as well as contact with pets.
The presence of ulcers, bursting vesicles, pus and mucus from the urethra along with itching may indicate symptoms of venereal diseases. Most often, they are the cause of such discomfort.
The manifestation of itching is characteristic of such diseases:
• Thrush (candidiasis) – along with itching, a white-gray raid under the flesh of the penis is characteristic. In addition to infection from women after intimacy, thrush can occur with diabetes, obesity, or weakened immunity.
• Balanitis and balanoposthitis are characterized by feelings of pain during intercourse and during urination. This disease is accompanied by burning, redness and swelling of the skin covering the head of the penis. A characteristic symptom is frequent uncontrolled sexual arousal.
• Trichomoniasissymptomatology is similar to balanoposthitis. His symptoms after a couple of weeks may disappear completely, and the disease becomes chronic, a complication of which may lead to the development of prostatitis.
• Genital herpes in the period of exacerbation, except for itching, is characterized by burning and rash on the penis. The cunning of the disease is that the herpes cannot be cured completely, so the itching can manifest itself during relapses.
• When gonorrhea affects the mucous membranes of the genital organs with a tickling symptom in the urethra.
• Ureaplasmosis – a disease caused by the smallest bacteria that live on the mucous genital organs and are able to break down urea. This feature causes itching when infected with ureaplasmas.
Diseases of the genitourinary system
Itching is a symptom of some diseases of the genitourinary system:
- Cystitis – inflammation and dysfunction of the bladder. Learn: What symptoms indicate cystitis . Also: What are the causes of cystitis ?
• Urethritis – inflammation of the walls of the urethra. Learn how to recognize urethritis . Useful information in the article Treatment of all types of urethritis in men . To prevent the disease, read: Prevention of male urethritis . When diagnosing a disease, it will be interesting: Methods and methods for treating cystitis in men . And to prevent the disease, read: Prevention of male cystitis
Other causes of itch
In unprotected intercourse, the cause of itching can be the acidic environment of the partner’s vagina or the local contraceptive method applied to it. Itching can cause allergies to condom material or lubrication.
Sometimes itching is diagnosed with impaired metabolism, which increases the level of sugar, bile acid and other substances that irritate the nerve endings of the sexual organ.
Itching of the penis is sometimes one of the signs of diabetes. The reason is the presence of sugar in the urine, which serves as a breeding ground for the appearance of microorganisms. Also, the modified composition of urine, in contact with the skin of the penis, irritates it and causes itching and burning.
Itching is possible with inflammatory processes in the kidneys and bladder, blood diseases and oncological diseases. In such pathologies, the composition of blood and urine changes, causing itching.
First actions at itching
At the first sensations of genital itching, the following actions should be performed:
- Completely stop any sexual intercourse to prevent possible infection of your partner.
- Constantly carry out hygienic procedures, washing out the genital organ with warm water and soap at least 1 time a day. For this purpose it is necessary to use soap, without dyes and chemical additives, such as children’s.
- Exclude all the factors of allergy. Change underwear from synthetic to natural. It is necessary to change panties daily, washing separately from other things with laundry detergent that does not cause allergic reactions. Before putting on underwear you need to iron for the destruction of germs.
- Do not overheat or overcool genitals. You need to wear underwear and clothing that will not be very tight, and will not squeeze the penis and testicles.
- To improve nutrition, eliminating from the diet alcohol, semi-finished products, spicy and salty foods and foods that cause allergies.
To identify the causes of itching, conducted examination and diagnosis. Blood and urine tests are taken, a smear is taken from the mucous membrane, and excretions are examined. Based on the results of the examination, the origin of itching is detected, treatment is prescribed.
In the treatment of prescribed drugs, eliminating the cause of itching, mainly antiviral drugs, as well as antibiotics in the form of ointments, tablets, injections.
Antibiotics should be used as prescribed by a doctor, after identifying the infectious agent and drug sensitivity to it.
To eliminate itching, ointments and gels of local action are used, which also eliminate puffiness and other unpleasant symptoms.
Treatment of folk remedies
At home, you can reduce itching:
- Add some potassium permanganate to the warm water so that the water slightly changes color and wash the penis several times a day or make warm baths.
- Well helps in the treatment of itching chamomile, which also anesthetizes and enhances the regenerative processes. To prepare, you need to brew 1 tablespoon of chamomile in 200 ml of boiling water, leave for 15 minutes. Strain and use as a bath or washing the penis.
- Helps in the treatment of itching sage, which is used for the same recipe.
Although itching is not always a symptom of serious diseases, it cannot be ignored and self-medicated. It is necessary to turn to the urologist, who will conduct the necessary examination and prescribe an individual treatment.